Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

CaliusOptimus-2017 Build off- Silent Assassin

Hey folks, some of you may know me from GPN back when that was a thing. For those that don't know me I've been riding peds since I was 14 or 15. I'm 27 now and it's time for a new project! Enough with the intro....

Any of you who have ridden and/or worked on gas gopeds will know that gopeds break. They are unreliable and the amount of maintenance needed to have a good working scooter is ridiculous! At best on a stock goped sport you will have to tune the carb and replace rubbers on a weekly basis. On something faster you will be replacing chains, fixing broken pipe mounts and swapping out top ends or worse. (Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.)

My thought process:

Gopeds break and fail for several reasons. One is vibration. A 460 in beast mode at 15K rpm vibrates like crazy. This plays hell on every part of the scooter. Rattling loose headsets, motor mounts, breaking pipe brackets etc. Another problem is the equipment package. For example a #25 chain is not rated to go around a 9t sprocket at 15k+ rpm. This is a drastic misuse of a perfectly good piece of chain as far as I'm concerned and the results are obvious. Stretched and broken chains, worn out sprockets are common place. The clutch is too small, the chain is too small, the motor mount ins't fastened strong enough the list goes on. Basically everything on a gas goped is pushing the limits of reliability with a stock engine. Add a few extra HP and things just go wrong.

This frustration brings me here to the electric thread....with a solution for my money hole (aka: goped).

I've been pondering for some time... could an electric scooter ever keep up with the 2 stroke crowd? I think so. If you take a hint from the RC community where a modest electric car can beat a heavily tuned and modded gasser, and apply that to a scooter, just what could happen?

My build parameters:

Fully electric
    60mph top speed
    Enough torque to climb any paved hill in the average urban area
    single speed
    Built around a basic goped GSR frame
    20-30 mile range
    high reliability
    low maintenance
    Charges from dead to full in less than 2hrs (stand alone charger)
    cost comparable to a fully modded GSR 46

My equipment choices:

Motors - 3x 1000w 48v unite motor ($100 each)
    controllers - 2x basic chinese controllers from ebay 60v 80A pk (heavy modification needed) ($90 each)
    batteries - 112x LG 18650 HG2 wired in 14s8p to provide 58.8v max at 160A continuous. (approx 22Ah) ($500 total)
    Goped GSR roller (courtesy of NapalmZen)
    Multi-V Belt drive to keep it quiet

Progress:

80% done. Pics and details to come!
    Last edited by Slitz; 12-11-2016 at 07:08 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaliusOptimus For This Useful Post:

Dean (05-24-2016),Quakelll (05-15-2016)

Thanks
    sup Cale
    Matt Etchells
    Flash-Systems ltd.

Mattetch@gmail.com

Thanks
    WoW CaliusOptimus is back baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting build. Since a couple years ago our current rides range from 30 to 60 miles a day now.

Will be awesome to see a long haul electric goped with good mph capability.
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks
    Waz up

My kinda thread.

Thanks
    This will be interresting.

One belt drive, 2 controllers, 3 non-hub motors ( on one GSR?) suggest a 2 geared setup or possibly 2 different actuation modes if these are brushless motors ?

On a further courious note, why ( this series of ) LG batteries ?

Thanks
    Hey Matt, pedguyman, pushinit and Len!

@pedguyman I'm hoping to take this on a ride some day. Sounds like I'll probably need to solder up some extra battery packs.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    This will be interresting.

One belt drive, 2 controllers, 3 non-hub motors ( on one GSR?) suggest a 2 geared setup or possibly 2 different actuation modes if these are brushless motors ?

On a further courious note, why ( this series of ) LG batteries ?
    They are brushed motors. I'd like to have some sort of 2 speed setup but for now I'm focusing on getting everything else in order.

I chose the LG HG2 because out of all the 18650's on the market these have the best combination of capacity and discharge capability. At 1C they have a true 3000mAh capacity, and at 20A constant current they have about 2700mAh capacity. So at 1C my packs will be 24Ah but more realistically on the scooter they will be about 22Ah. Also I can get any of the good 18650's on the market for below wholesale costs so it was a no brainer to make my own packs. I think I paid about 2.35ea for genuine LG cells.

Thanks
    Here is the concept model.

Name:  scoot.png
Views: 831
Size:  168.6 KB

Here are the upper and lower decks before welding the rear mount. The frame has been Y framed at this point with a bigfoot frame courtesy of NapalmZen.

Name:  scoot2.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  208.4 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliusOptimus View Post
    Here is the concept model.

Name:  scoot.png
Views: 831
Size:  168.6 KB

Here are the upper and lower decks before welding the rear mount. The frame has been Y framed at this point with a bigfoot frame courtesy of NapalmZen.

Name:  scoot2.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  208.4 KB
    looking good, very impressive!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to f1gopedder For This Useful Post:

CaliusOptimus (05-16-2016)

Thanks
    Here is the battery pack being soldered. So many 18650s....I hate soldering this much. Each series is wired with 12awg wire so the conduction path is low loss for very high current. The small wires are balance wires for charging and monitoring.
    The scooter has two of these packs. Each one is wired as 7s8p and then the two packs are connected in series for to make 14s8p. I made two 7s packs instead of two 14s packs so I could use a TP820CD charger.

Name:  bat1.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  248.9 KB

I hooked up the pack to my battery analyzer and ran it at 500w just to make sure the results would be as expected. At 500w continuous discharge the capacity was 22.4Ah. I also wanted to make sure the cells would stay balanced and they did very well.

Name:  bat.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  243.3 KB

Thanks
    That looks very nice.
    & battery pack nice and neat,
    I'm sure most of us are drooling.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Len For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is just plain awesome! Looking forward to seeing the progress on this ped. Its innovation like this that keeps the hobby alive!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gpedcruisin For This Useful Post:

CaliusOptimus (05-16-2016),Depths of Hell (05-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    You're ****in crazy Optimus, keep up the great work sir.
    Hell Fab

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Depths of Hell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Matt, pedguyman, pushinit and Len!

@pedguyman I'm hoping to take this on a ride some day. Sounds like I'll probably need to solder up some extra battery packs.
    Last time I saw you was the day you brought the Cag sport. That thing was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    I knew I was forgetting something, LUUBE!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pushinit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Depths of Hell View Post
    You're ****in crazy Optimus, keep up the great work sir.
    Thanks mate, crazy is what I'm going for!

Quote Originally Posted by Pushinit View Post
    Last time I saw you was the day you brought the Cag sport. That thing was awesome.
    I still have that beast. I robbed some parts from it for this project but other than that she still runs great!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CaliusOptimus For This Useful Post:

Pushinit (05-16-2016)

Thanks

They are brushed motors. I'd like to have some sort of 2 speed setup but for now I'm focusing on getting everything else in order.
    This is a impressive and neat way to pack the motors and all on one belt.

Challenges may include having them run all in sync and the drag of a brushed motor is considerable whereas the brushless can freewheel much better (and to higher speeds down the hill), the belt drive will obsolete a tensioner but to restretch to the desired tension the engine frame should be able to pivot ( maybe using the fuel through line/ rear brake mounting tube as a mount?) or you will need a belt tensioner wheel ( the SLackinator was inspired by belt tensioners used in the Bladez E90/E100 series).

Chaning to two-speed lateron is possible without significant changes ona brushless ( brsued ones do not like overreving passively and generate too much drag), just switch the gear/ cog of one or two of the motors for higher speed and connect to the second controller board, use the same throttle and wire the switch that selcts which one is active (both connected to the same leads with batteries) to the Turbo/Econo switch for more convenience.