Goped Complete Shut Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goped Complete Shut Off

Hi, my lithium goped works fine and then everything shuts off. No lights, nothing. I have to disconnect the batteries and then reconnect them to the controller to get the current back on. I have tested both lithium packs under load. One is weak but the other is OK. So even if one BMS shuts down I should still have current from the other pack. So I am thinking it might be the controller board. Maybe one of the relays. Has this ever happened to you? Any other thoughts? Thanks !

It is the BMS.

Comment

Thanks. I am intrigued.

My set-up is 2 x 24v 9A batteries in parallel each with an integrated BMS.

So even if only one battery BMS shuts off why would the ther battery not continue supplying current ? Does one BMS send a signal to the other?

Comment

From my experience the load on the single battery becomes almost instantly too great and they both trip. I have always wondered why the BMS do not just self-reset but I am sure the circuitry to do that was either expensive or the BMS design did not plan for the type of applications we are applying the batteries to. I had dakota lithium cells that were properly rated "on paper" but I found that in the scooter application the controller can really dig deep into the battery and ask for like 100+ A

Can you share further details on the BMS and cell specs? Perhaps there is a way to resolve.

I would think that your ESR controller has not been reprogrammed to such a level where the cell droop in voltage is encountering the low voltage cutoff of the controller.
        ESR_RSE
        Power User
        Last edited by ESR_RSE; 10-06-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks ESR_RSE. Very useful. I have reached out to the pack manufacturer. They could agree to take them in, test, repair or replace.... I tested both packs under load independently and one is weak and heats up. That could be it as you said. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Yeah hope you get that sorted out. The kind of packs that go in these scooters are not inexpensive. Do you have details as to battery specs or who built them?

Comment

Originally posted by clicker View Post
              Thanks ESR_RSE. Very useful. I have reached out to the pack manufacturer. They could agree to take them in, test, repair or replace.... I tested both packs under load independently and one is weak and heats up. That could be it as you said. Will keep you posted.
              Any update?

Comment

Yes, the battery was tested by the manufacturer. Some dead cells which they no longer work with. So I have to replace both batteries. I have found some cheap ones which I hope will work because I did not want to fork out big $$$ for top grade ones. My plan is to sell the beast !

Comment

Bummer. ESR pan claims yet another....(technically the original hoverboard pan)

Comment

ESR_RSE man I have 4 of the 12v 10ah Dakota Lithium batteries in my esr1000h and I have no issues I can complain about really. I always go turbo mode and I'm 250lbs and no issues. I've tried it with only 1 pack either side and it still works fine just not the distance I get with both. And of course at that time since it's a greater load on the batteries using only 1 pack then the greater the load the lower the capacity. But with both packs I get 20-22mph at 15m distance with a 250lbs rider no problem ever. Only thing is for some damn reason they shut down at almost exactly 24v. But for the distance I'm getting I'm not complaint because if I keep em in that 40-80% range of discharge and charge the I get longer cell and cycle life so it don't matter to me. But yeah I'm super happy with my Dakota Lithiums.

Comment

Sounds like Dakota Lithium upped their cell specs and/or BMS. I know I reported my issues to them directly since they were local in Seattle but that was back in April 2018

Edit: I've reached out to Dakota directly and will find out. If they really have fixed the cutout issue then I might get four more.
                      ESR_RSE
                      Power User
                      Last edited by ESR_RSE; 01-10-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X