No announcement yet.

Wasp Ped Buildarewski Bitches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried fixing a set of old Juicy 5 hydros. All it did was waste my time and money... I ended up buying a new set of brakes, which will hopefully get here soon. Here is a pic of the devil in brake form below. The stupid lever piston seized so the brakes wouldn't return after pressing. I could have bought a rebuild kit but I decided that it was not worth my time... 😣
    Instagram: @base_cat

Comment

• The legend of the Wasp Ped continues! I have had a bunch of crazy ideas lately, and I have decided to just try them out and see if they work.

First thing on the docket is building and under-deck fuel tank. Attached is a picture of my V1 design. I will make a new deck that it will bolt onto. The deck will have holes for the gas cap. I'll probably end up needing two of these things since the volume of one is gonna be on the order of 0.5-0.8 liter, which is tiny! But if I have two tanks, then I will hopefully be a little over the liter mark. I admit that will kind of suck, but I usually carry extra gas in my backpack anyway, so I don't think that it will matter all that much.

I'm printing the tank from PETG, which supposedly is gasoline resistant. If that doesn't work, I also have nylon which should be ok with gasoline (I think?). Or maybe it is polycarbonate that I'm thinking of... Either way I have a bunch of plastics to try!

Gas Tank R.png

Next on the list is making another carbon fiber pole. My original pole was actually a modified pole that I had purchased from Haak werx. A long time ago he sold CF poles for a very good price, and I ended up buying one. Unfortunately, the epoxy he used was awful, and so the lower aluminum bit that the FTG clamp latched onto fell out! This was a blessing in disguise, snice I was able to completely redesign the lower, and make my own part. Because of this, I was able to use my titanium FTG, and that super cool and tiny grit scooter clamp.

For my new pole, the CF tube will be longer, and it will be 1.5" in diameter. The current pole is about 1.25", so the new one will be beefier! I also got to pick out a super cool looking carbon fiber pattern, but this will be a secret for now... Hopefully this new pole will be even lighter, since I can reduce the weight of the aluminum components further by making them smaller. Since the CF pole will be longer, I won't need such a tall stem, nor such a long lower bit. I'll post more as I make progress. Stay tuned!
      Attached Files

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• I’m remaking the Wasp Ped because I got a bunch of crazy ideas. I have modified my uni frame to be the gas tank. I am also switching to a single sided fork to lose more weight. The fork has been braced for added strength, and since it was originally a pre mad dog fork, I had to make a mad dog brake bracket for it.

Comment

• I also machined a grade 5 Ti fromt axle. It is even lighter than my 7075 axle due to fancy machining. The pair of Ti axles weigh almost nothing… compared to the standard steel axles, my Ti ones save me 1.5 pounds.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Here is a preview of the frame/fork color scheme.

Comment

• I’m also going down in bore size on the engine because my weight target is sub 30 pounds. So I built a G320RC casereed using AreaRC cases. These reed cases were inly $190, so I could help myself. So far the engine does run and idle just fine. After break in, I will ride it and see how it feels…
                    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Looks good man. Nice build.

Comment

• Internal cable routing. This is a pain in the *** to setup. I will also keep my hydros since they actually have quick disconnect fittings in the calipers.

Comment

• When it's a pain in the ***, it's usually worth it in the end.

From the looks of it now, I say it's worth it.

Comment

• Thanks guys!

more photos:
                            This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

• Idk how close I’m gonna get to sub 30 pounds. When I last did a mock up, I was at 30.8, but since then, I have done some additional work to lose more weight. I’m either going to come in at very low 30s, or just barely below 30 pounds.

All I have left to do is 2 more coats of clear gas resistant paint. Then I will mod my 1107 carb to run E85. Finally, it will just be a matter of assembly, then engine break in!

Comment

Working...
                              X