Bass Boat 60 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Boat 60 Rebuild

Now that the Wasp ped is nearing completion, I have time to redirect my attention to the Bass Boat 60. There are a few new things that I did on the Wasp that I really like that I would like to also do to the BB60. Some of it is porting, some of it is mods to the roller. One of the main things is weight; the BB60 weighed 42.6 pounds with the ADA 60 pipe which is pretty hefty. I am going to try to bring the weight down under 40 pounds. It won't be quite as light as the Wasp, but I am hoping to shed 2-3 pounds.

Anyway's, here it is taken apart with some of the stuff organized into neatly labeled baggies...

20161006_021132.jpg
    Instagram: @base_cat

Hey BC... I'm starting to think you have too many nice peds. I mean.... you can only ride one at a time anyway right? Who needs all those when you can only ride one? This sounds like it could be a problem... an unhealthy one. It just so happens that I am in the business of helping good folks with their problems, and I think the best way to deal with this is to send the peds away. If you've ever seen the show hoarders... it's kind of like that. It will be very tough I know, but just remember the first step is admitting you have a problem. Again, I understand this is a difficult thing to do so I am here to help. When you are ready to take the next step, I will PM you a shipping address. I will even pay shipping because this isn't something you should do alone.
    50mph+ Electric Ped
    KT100 GTR

Comment

I wondered about this, too - it is like a car enthusiast assembling a collection solely around one model line.
      However, others build a Sport they will never ride each year, others do Puzzles or aim to have a selfmade photography of each type of orchidee in a book.
      It is not unpractical, if the engine porting jobs are evolution stages and the design themes the followthrough on breeding on them for a while it is back to making sense, like having several testbeds for slightly varying setups - it does make sense after seing the weight differences and that all details are measured on a bench and in theory so this both can be combined.

But yeah, i wondered this as well.
      Most would go the route of having one biuld for each outstanding feature of one portjob and not the evolution stages of one engine with the prior and a subsequent improvement in them, yet the approach of BC is practical one as all builds are similar enough to be ridden and each small difference in combo with a common feature - and graduay diversions - potentiates the experience gain out of each new build and parts can be cross-switched where sensible, at one point ending in a penultimate 60.

He had many 460 builds too, but i believe most have been in series and not be used in parallel ( if so he must have a large basement or little space left in his lving room and floorways).

If there is a good reason ( no need to in a hobby like this) i' d be courious, too, it is always nice to learn how people are motivated.

Comment

I just really enjoy building these things. Porting the engines and machining custom parts is my favorite aspect. Each ped is different in its own way. It just isn't obvious at first glance. I am more about subtle details. Bling bling chrome and stuff like that was never my thing. Hopefully for those with sharp eyes they can see all the little details in my work.

Also I don't have many peds currently, but I have built a number of them over the years. At the moment though, it is just these two GSRs (BB60 and Wasp ped). I suppose that's more peds than I actually need since I am only a single human, but still it is less than many others. Either way, even if I had 10 peds I wouldn't be ashamed about it. These things are fun! That's why we ride them after all...

I used to be a little embarrassed by my Go-Ped hobby.

"Why do you ride those little scooters?"

I have learned that it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you enjoy what you're doing. And building these stupid things makes me happy. So I do it.

Comment

I must admit, I too was a little embarrased about telling people about peds.

But when you take time off work for vacation, and don't talk to people about where you're going and what you're doing. Well, they tend to get a little suspicious.

I finally told the owner of the company after Rocklin this last run. Where did you go? What were you doing?!?!

I told him about us, and showed him pictures of what not only I build. But all the time you guys invest in our hobby too. Then I told him about the speeds I'm trying to hit. He looked me in the eyes, and told me "You're $$$$in crazy".

I met a guy at the local bike shop that dropped over 10k on a road bike. Now that's something to be embarrased about.

I'm with you B.C., as long as you're doing what brings you gratification in a positive way. Damn anyone whom doesn't like it.
          Hell Fab

Comment

Originally posted by Depths of Hell View Post
            I met a guy at the local bike shop that dropped over 10k on a road bike. Now that's something to be embarrased about.
            Sounds like my dad. Dude has 30k worth of bikes in his garage and he barely...if ever... rides them. Those are his toys though. He does a lot of bike mechanic work for people all around his area for high school teams, helps out with loaner bikes when people break down at the races etc. So it's his thing, you know? I tried to pull an intervention on his *** like I did with BC a few posts ago... surprisingly I got a sweet 26" dirt jumper out of it Ironically it's now sitting in my garage, like an expensive monument to the days when I used to enjoy a good workout.

My point is that if scooters are your favorite toys then so be it! Any man that judges you is just a $$$$ and probably doesn't have any cool toys of his own. I don't think most women judge based on a man's toys.... hell.... ogre found a new girlfriend after eating pavement while she watched I heard she nursed his *** back to health without touching the medkit.

Do your thing BC! Everyone on billetboard has your back! All 10 of us!
            50mph+ Electric Ped
            KT100 GTR

Comment

Originally posted by CaliusOptimus View Post
              Sounds like my dad. Dude has 30k worth of bikes in his garage and he barely...if ever... rides them. Those are his toys though. He does a lot of bike mechanic work for people all around his area for high school teams, helps out with loaner bikes when people break down at the races etc. So it's his thing, you know? I tried to pull an intervention on his *** like I did with BC a few posts ago... surprisingly I got a sweet 26" dirt jumper out of it Ironically it's now sitting in my garage, like an expensive monument to the days when I used to enjoy a good workout.

My point is that if scooters are your favorite toys then so be it! Any man that judges you is just a $$$$ and probably doesn't have any cool toys of his own. I don't think most women judge based on a man's toys.... hell.... ogre found a new girlfriend after eating pavement while she watched I heard she nursed his *** back to health without touching the medkit.

Do your thing BC! Everyone on billetboard has your back! All 10 of us!

true story.
              I'm going to make my own forum with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum.

Comment

Got some cabon fiber bars from China for this little guy:

IMG_0313.jpg

They have a 1.25 in clamping diameter so they won't work with a normal GoPed stem. I already made the appropriate stem though so these will be mounted shortly...

Surprisingly the quality seems pretty good! Not bad for $20 shipped...

Comment

The main quality issues with carbon show over time, it is yellowing and sometimes decay.
                  BMW's Carbon production had more than one Thord of it not passing their levels of QC and this is on Japanese carbon material produced in a US factory ( for which they spent high into the 9 digits for the tooling alone).

However, for 20 bucks even the risk of seeing a bit of yellow over time is more than oK.

Comment

That's a good point. Usually the yellowing comes from the degradation of the epoxy that is used to form the CF part. This yellowing is often caused by UV irradiation which destroys the polymer.

For 20 bucks, I'll roll the dice and see how these work out. If I can even get a year's worth of use out of them, then I still come out on top.

Comment

Make sure you torque them to proper specs for carbon bars and id also recommend friction paste to help keep them in place since they require very little torque.

I know someone who over torqued the brake lever clamps on a quality set of carbon mtb bars and snapped the bars right at the brake clamp. And I've also seen snapped taiwanese road bike forks.

I hear of tons of horror stories of Chinese and taiwanese carbon fiber bike compenents failing horribly so please be careful!

They do look sick though, and I figure those will probably take less stress on an air tire goped than they would on a mountain bike.

Comment

Originally posted by purplehaze707 View Post
                        Make sure you torque them to proper specs for carbon bars and id also recommend friction paste to help keep them in place since they require very little torque.

I know someone who over torqued the brake lever clamps on a quality set of carbon mtb bars and snapped the bars right at the brake clamp. And I've also seen snapped taiwanese road bike forks.

I hear of tons of horror stories of Chinese and taiwanese carbon fiber bike compenents failing horribly so please be careful!

They do look sick though, and I figure those will probably take less stress on an air tire goped than they would on a mountain bike.
                        I have to be honest and admit that I'm also wary of the chinese carbon fiber. They look pretty good though and feel pretty stiff (I tried really hard to bend them). I'll make sure to torque them down using on the necessary amount of force and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for sign of cracks etc...

In the meantime I'll just be a guinea pig.

Comment

I haven't forgotten about this build!

IMG_0432.jpg

At first I was just going to slap all the parts together but I keep getting ideas for new improvements to be machined... It won't be as extensive as the Wasp bit I'm gonna put this guy on a diet.

I'm getting some grips in the mail, then I'll bleed the brakes. I'm also thinking of machining a new manifold for my JP pipe too...

More progress soon!

Comment

Why do you like those mtb bars? Just curious, because I machined my own stem the other day and I was thinking about making another for the larger diameter bar.
                            50mph+ Electric Ped
                            KT100 GTR

Comment

I wanted to run carbon bars and all the new ones for mountain bikes have a 1.25in clamping diameter. It's really hard to find carbon bars that have the same clamping diameter as GoPed stems for a reasonable price. At least I couldn't find straight riser bars that would fit and that were in my price range. Plus all the ones I did find were old...

Also since my stem is compatible with modern mtb stuf I can find better deals for CF bars and don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a reasonable set (my nice raceface ones were 60 and the chinese ones were only 30!!).

I hope that this catches on and companies make GoPed stems with the 1.25in clamping diameter. This opens up a whole new world of awesome handlebar choices. Moutain bike bars nowadays are more than strong enough to be used for GoPeds.

Since you can make anything I'd recommend that you give it a try. Personally I'm only running mtb bars from here on out now that I have my stems.

Comment

Working...
                              X