Having Trouble starting g23lh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Trouble starting g23lh

Alright guys whenever i want to start my goped, bump starting it is almost impossible and takes forever. The pull start never works on the engine unless its already warmed up. I was thinking about getting a new engine to start fresh but i felt like i could get some more life out of my current g23lh. Not sure if it is the carb that needs proper tuning or what. I haven't started the ped in a while but when i did i had fresh spark plugs, and fresh gas. Any ideas on how to star it easier. I also wanted to get the new engine maybe a 230rc but how easy would that be to start? and i would like to use the goped from time to time and like it to start up relatively easy. Lastly any engine recomendations, i just need something that is pretty reliable and easy to start like i said, for the most part i dont care about speed really.

you can build a pimp g23lh for a small investment. if you have a barrel carb, i would suggest an hp butterfly carb and intake manifold. it definitely sounds like a carb issue.

post pics of your ride.
    I'm going to make my own forum with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogre View Post
      you can build a pimp g23lh for a small investment. if you have a barrel carb, i would suggest an hp butterfly carb and intake manifold. it definitely sounds like a carb issue.

post pics of your ride.
      Alright thanks what about this one?

http://www.davesmotors.com/wt-603-carb-goped-use.html

What would the difference in carbs be?

Comment

603/668/664/990/771/ are all basically the same carb.

257/813/ are for high flow.

603 is your standard hp carb.
        the 668 is the carb found on cy engines(slightly better than 603 imo)
        the 664 is an unknown to me but it is stock for a water cooled 230pum so it should be the same as a 603.
        the 771 and 990 are stock for the 4 bolt zenoah rc engines and are basically just an updated 603.
        the 813 is a 990 with a accelerator pump.
        the 257 is a high flow carb used in circumstances where all the aforementioned carbs simply do not provide enough fuel.

get a 668 and an rc flywheel/coil combo.

these are my opinions based on facts and experiences.
        I'm going to make my own forum with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum.

Comment

I would start with the basics....

The engine will be getting old...
          The crank seals go hard.
          So, Change the crank seals..
          Not a hard job, and the seals are very cheap..

You can buy an aftermarket carb gasket kit for a few $..
          Change the 2 main gaskets on the carb you have..

New spark plug..

For around $15 you can attack the 3 main problems associated with difficult starting..
          Once you have the engine running reliably, then think about bolting Go faster bits on..
          You can spend a lot of cash on a pile of new bits, and still not resolve the original issue..

The Zenoah engines should start very easily..
          A couple of pulls on choke, and then a pull off choke should see it idling nicely.
          When they are a pig to start, its normally crank seals and carb diaphragms.

I have been thru this recently with my Geo engine and my hedge trimmer (G23LH)..
          Crank seals and carb gaskets... And they start instantly..

Also.....
          If you are running a stock non adjustable carb on your engine..
          Look at my thread on Geo carb Mods..
          Changing the jet also applies to the non adjustable G23lh carbs..
          If your carb has a .40mm jet, then change it for a .41mm jet.
          The jets are a few $ also...
          But, get it running correctly on the stock jet before changing to a bigger jet.

So, for $20 you could have an engine better than new..
          With a little more pull than it had before..
          ... J.
          There is nothing that cannot be fixed with a good cup of Tea.

Comment

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0084.jpg

Here are some pics of when it was running good. I dont have that blue and black wood deck unfortunately because it cracked. I am borrowing the silver one from a friend and im gonna need another one later on. I also have that sikk torque pipe as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogre View Post
              603/668/664/990/771/ are all basically the same carb. 257/813/ are for high flow. 603 is your standard hp carb. the 668 is the carb found on cy engines(slightly better than 603 imo) the 664 is an unknown to me but it is stock for a water cooled 230pum so it should be the same as a 603. the 771 and 990 are stock for the 4 bolt zenoah rc engines and are basically just an updated 603. the 813 is a 990 with a accelerator pump. the 257 is a high flow carb used in circumstances where all the aforementioned carbs simply do not provide enough fuel. get a 668 and an rc flywheel/coil combo. these are my opinions based on facts and experiences.
              This is good info. I was literally trying to figure this out yesterday.

Comment

Can you send me links to some of these items? I already have a new spark plug i would just need the crank seals, and carb gasket kit. I am running the wa-167 carb from the previous owner. Heres a link http://www.davesmotors.com/ddm-hp-ca...-167-carb.html

Comment

I can see your already running an upgrade carb...

Do crank seals first..
                  And see if starting gets better.
                  Then try changing the carb gaskets.

Also....
                  Turn the low jet screw out a 1/4 turn and see if it makes it easier to start.
                  When starting a small crack of throttle is always a must.
                  ... J.
                  There is nothing that cannot be fixed with a good cup of Tea.

Comment

Like Mr Tea said, check the crank seals. When I got my second hand Geo Sport, the crank seals were so worn that fuel was spitting out of them. The seals are bound to go bad over time.

Comment

I cant seem to find them on ddm anyone have links?

Comment

http://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-21...-seal-set.html this?

Comment

Crank seals
                          http://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-21...-seal-set.html

Comment

Since you already have an hp card, I would open it up and clean it/rebuild it. Do the main seals next.

I forgot 2 carbs.
                            167 is the hp carb specifically for an lh
                            The 499/449 is meant for alcohol.

Also, tuning is key. If you don't know how to tune. You will need to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
                              Alright thanks what about this one?

http://www.davesmotors.com/wt-603-carb-goped-use.html

What would the difference in carbs be?
                              The 603 is for RC cars but may work with an Lh, someone with a 230RC stated he gets higher revs with a 668 than a 603 and the 603 is stock on lightweight applications engines such as RC trucks. Ogre is right, the 668 ( and the 813 of course) are best for an Lh.
                              I once tried the "rocket key"modification on one, it seemed to rev up a bit quicker but has not been faster nor did i feel more torque - a rc coil changes timing even more and may have different effects.
                              A 167 is the classic choice and works great with the g23lh and G2d, but sinc eonly sold used these days you may need to rebuild it if finding one.

Most important when switching to a HP carburator which will be a butterfly is to replace the manifold and manifold gasket accordingly to higher-diamter ones as sold with RC engines - and don't forget to buy that throttle linkage arm to hold the end sleeve of the cable housing since the hp carburators do not have them build-in like the stock Lhy carburator does ( a 2 dollar kit but throttle will not work without it).

Comment

Working...
                              X