Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking an engine for Bigfoot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Picking an engine for Bigfoot

    Hi guys,

    In the process of rebuilding my yellow bigfoot. I have a third bearing, ada lockout, and full clutch on the way with a black magic .750 third bearing spindle. I was originally going to go with a basic 290, but with the clutch and lockdown, is a 340 in the realm of possibility? 240lb rider, likely a non-ported engine with new exhaust and K&N filter.

    I'm looking into my options and not sure which way I'll be taking the build yet. Maybe return the clutch and lockout, return to thumb clutch and engine spring, then throw a 290 on it?


    Edit: hmmm... http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car...rankshaft.html
    Last edited by savage24x; 05-11-2020, 09:10 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by savage24x View Post
    Hi guys,

    In the process of rebuilding my yellow bigfoot. I have a third bearing, ada lockout, and full clutch on the way with a black magic .750 third bearing spindle. I was originally going to go with a basic 290, but with the clutch and lockdown, is a 340 in the realm of possibility? 240lb rider, likely a non-ported engine with new exhaust and K&N filter.

    I'm looking into my options and not sure which way I'll be taking the build yet. Maybe return the clutch and lockout, return to thumb clutch and engine spring, then throw a 290 on it?


    Edit: hmmm... http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car...rankshaft.html
    Welcome to the forums, if I had the chance I’d go g320 (or g340) mainly because I’ve always wanted one. It’s a much different motor design vs the 290 so it’s not just a simple big bore swap.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dsport View Post

      Welcome to the forums, if I had the chance I’d go g320 (or g340) mainly because I’ve always wanted one. It’s a much different motor design vs the 290 so it’s not just a simple big bore swap.
      Thanks, been lurking for many years. I am worried about losing top-end and having too much bottom-end for a spindle drive ped. The lockout and clutch would help with that situation, though. I'm starting to wonder if a 290 would yield better results with top-speed in mind.

      Comment


      • #4
        Stock for stock, a 320 will have better top speed and torque vs a 290 hands down.

        a 340 is a stroked 320, so you would potentially loose RPM, but motor from OBR is ported so it bumps the rpm back up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dsport View Post
          Stock for stock, a 320 will have better top speed and torque vs a 290 hands down.

          a 340 is a stroked 320, so you would potentially loose RPM, but motor from OBR is ported so it bumps the rpm back up.
          Everything that I have been reading about seems like the 320 is the way to go. I'm not sure which pipe I'll match it with. Maybe an ADA S1 if I can find it, or the JetPro bigfoot pipe (hope for a decent one). Seems like clutch +lockdown +third bearing is going to be the ticket with the 320. Appreciate the info!

          Comment


          • #6
            Any pipe will do really. Even the cheapo ddm one

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks like I'll be ordering the 30.5cc OBR soon. http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car...se-engine.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry if it's a bit late I would just like to say I had my g320 on my bigfoot with a .750 spindle and I found the torque was too much and the spindle would just spin on the tire at low speeds. I had way better results just swaping back to a cy29 with a .710 spindle, I should say I also have a ada clutch and I didnt feel like playing around with spindle sizes. But I'm way happier with the g320 on my sport.
                Last edited by 4drctr420; 05-16-2020, 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

                Comment


                • #9
                  Feels impossible trying to find an ADA S1 cb pipe for this baby. Trying to find a nice top-end pipe to go along with the OBR 30.5.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have also been thinking of upgrading my BF motor. a few things come to mind when I think about which motor to buy. Personally I would buy a 290. First off bc its cheaper. 2nd off, in order to put as much power to wheel you will have to get the lock down and 3rd bearing, if not the spindle will hop on the wheel due to the power. Even so, you will never be able to utilize the full potential of the 320 or 340. So in my opinion the largest motor for a spindle drive BF is a 290.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ...If you really want speed and acceleration get a chain drive Ped. Upgrade from there. I can't wait to blow my 460 and get into a 63. LOL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JLRod View Post
                        I have also been thinking of upgrading my BF motor. a few things come to mind when I think about which motor to buy. Personally I would buy a 290. First off bc its cheaper. 2nd off, in order to put as much power to wheel you will have to get the lock down and 3rd bearing, if not the spindle will hop on the wheel due to the power. Even so, you will never be able to utilize the full potential of the 320 or 340. So in my opinion the largest motor for a spindle drive BF is a 290.
                        Have you ridden a 320 or 340 bigfoot? IMO they are pretty dang fun. Make or buy a lock down and run the clutch that comes with the motor. Feels just like a chain drive ped, actually a bit better b/c the spindle seems to dampen some of the vibration. That being said, the clutch/lift system that comes on the 23LH bigfoots was never designed to handle over 2hp, that’s why all RC powered bigfoots had factory lock downs.

                        I think with the correct spindle you’ll be able to get the 320 to hit 40mph, maybe more. If you already own a bigfoot, that’s probably your best MPH per dollar option.
                        Last edited by dsport; 05-25-2020, 02:19 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          [QUOTE=dsport;n331905]

                          Have you ridden a 320 or 340 bigfoot? IMO they are pretty dang fun.



                          No I have not ridden a BF with anything more than a G23. For me, I don't see the point in throwing a ton of money at spindle driven Peds. I keep my BF running well, it gets me around at an impressive 35 mph, but since I don't have lock down and third bearing I eat up tires and motor bounces like a hot chick on a trampoline. Gave that thing to my twelve year old and upgraded to GTR, thing started out at 35 mph. spending less than fifty bucks and I'm running 45 mph. So if you want to catch me, spend $400+ on your BF. My GTR is way more fun than my 30 year old BF, and don't plan on turning back. Save your cash for a bigger smile, IMO.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Agreed that a chain drive ped would be a better choice. A Bigfoot with a BB lh Or a full CY swap would be a good upgrade for low buck performance boost though.
                            2 Sports and a GSR40

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Turbobox View Post
                              Agreed that a chain drive ped would be a better choice. A Bigfoot with a BB lh Or a full CY swap would be a good upgrade for low buck performance boost though.
                              Right, that’s what I was getting at.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X