Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skopod and disc brakes on my air tire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skopod and disc brakes on my air tire

    Hey all,

    Most of you know I've strictly been an hardtire guy over the past years and have now recently got a GSR46r.

    Im looking to upgrade the brakes by purchasing this from DDM and have a few questions:

    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6943/.f

    Keep in mind, I will be doing this for the rear as well and I am utilizing ADA billet wheels on both the front and rear.

    So here are my questions concerns.

    1. Will I be able to use the maddog brake caliper with a MTB brake disc?
    2. What size brake disc do I need to purchase?
    3. Any suggestions on which brakes are good? From experience?

    Thanks for any and all help!
    sigpic

  • #2
    Originally posted by Arick View Post
    Hey all,

    Most of you know I've strictly been an hardtire guy over the past years and have now recently got a GSR46r.

    Im looking to upgrade the brakes by purchasing this from DDM and have a few questions:

    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6943/.f

    Keep in mind, I will be doing this for the rear as well and I am utilizing ADA billet wheels on both the front and rear.

    So here are my questions concerns.

    1. Will I be able to use the maddog brake caliper with a MTB brake disc?
    2. What size brake disc do I need to purchase?
    3. Any suggestions on which brakes are good? From experience?

    Thanks for any and all help!
    1. Yes Maddog calipers work fine on MTB rotors.
    2. 140mm is the same size as the stock brake rotor and will not require any special adapters.
    3. Avid makes some good rotors, but ANY 6-bolt rotor will work. Look at Jenson Bike for a wide assortment. www.jensonbike.com
    CP......
    HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

    Comment


    • #3
      The reason to get the MTB Adapter is to get bigger rotors and upgraded(from MD) brakes. I got Avid G3 160mm rotors on mine, looking for a good deal on an Avid Juicy Hydro setup.

      If you put a 160 on the rear of that GSR you'll have to notch the engine mount box for clearance. I can post a pic of the notch later if you like.
      Lookin for a new goat...mine is wore the hell out!

      Originally posted by Dirtmonkey
      Slitz is taken. We'll let you be Clitz.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks guys.

        I think I'll probably go with the 140mm set up.

        Now, if I wanted to switch out the maddog calipers for avid calipers would I run into any issues there in terms of mounting the caliper?
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arick View Post
          Thanks guys.

          I think I'll probably go with the 140mm set up.

          Now, if I wanted to switch out the maddog calipers for avid calipers would I run into any issues there in terms of mounting the caliper?
          No not at all. I have a 140 MM Avid Clean Sweep rotor on the rear of my Hoverboard along with an Avid BB7 caliper. Works GREAT. I am also using the Avid BB7 caliper along with a 160 MM Avid Clean Sweep rotor on the front, but I had to or chose make a caliper adapter to match the larger rotor.
          Attached Files
          CP......
          HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cablescum View Post
            The reason to get the MTB Adapter is to get bigger rotors and upgraded(from MD) brakes. I got Avid G3 160mm rotors on mine, looking for a good deal on an Avid Juicy Hydro setup.

            If you put a 160 on the rear of that GSR you'll have to notch the engine mount box for clearance. I can post a pic of the notch later if you like.
            Yes please post a picture when you geta chance, I'm going to put 160mm avids on my gsr

            Comment


            • #7
              Awesome! Thanks for the pic SJ!

              I'll post up some pics once I have my setup!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Arick, start with a 160 mm up front. If you are staying with stock goped levers or adjustable levers then the bb7s are awesome for calipers. If you are using a stock bothy front fork then order a 180mm rear I.S. brake adapter for the caliper and you will love it. The ada 140 mm 6 bolt disc is thick and would be a great choice for the rear set up with another bb7 caliper

                I just got my first set of hydros today they look pretty good and definitely match my build scheme.
                Originally posted by rocketped
                Damn Texan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Trust me Oliver once you run Hyrdro's you will never want another kind of brake. The control and feel is like going from pre's to regular MD brakes. Its a night and day difference.
                  I'm now an Evo dealer. Please PM with all your EVo needs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TheDog View Post
                    Trust me Oliver once you run Hyrdro's you will never want another kind of brake. The control and feel is like going from pre's to regular MD brakes. Its a night and day difference.
                    Are the Juicy's the way to go then?

                    Sheriff Jon, is that a speedometer sensor on that little dog leg on the adapter?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bikeguy View Post
                      Sheriff Jon, is that a speedometer sensor on that little dog leg on the adapter?
                      That is exactly what it is. I figured while making the caliper adapter I might as well include a place to mount the speedo sensor as well. The second pic is the little plate that I have the rare earth magnet glued too and then bolted to the rotor using two of the rotor bolts.
                      Attached Files
                      CP......
                      HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Different configurations I've had over the years, all 160mm rotors.
                        Ada 5 stars
                        GoPed Asia 6 bolt hubs
                        TS slick hubs
                        Skopod hubs

                        I've tried almost all of them I think except the stock 6 bolt slick hubs haha







                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like the look of the ADA 5 star rims, where do you get those rims and the adaptors for them, also are the 6 bolt hubs in the first picture on PMT rims? I got PMT rims but 4 bolt hubs, on a side note I went to put my skopod adapters on my ADA rims and when I got to the rear I notice that 3 of the bolts won't fit all the way though, I emailed DDM to see what they can do, if they won't sent me 3 correct ones free I guess I will have to go buy some from brofasco

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The skopod hub on Ada wheels requires you to modify the holes as they are slightly off.

                            The Ada 5 stars I bought off someone, it comes with the part to use a 6 bolt rotor already.

                            The slicks pictured are GRC billet pocket bike wheels with TS hubs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hondaboi View Post
                              I like the look of the ADA 5 star rims, where do you get those rims and the adaptors for them, also are the 6 bolt hubs in the first picture on PMT rims? I got PMT rims but 4 bolt hubs, on a side note I went to put my skopod adapters on my ADA rims and when I got to the rear I notice that 3 of the bolts won't fit all the way though, I emailed DDM to see what they can do, if they won't sent me 3 correct ones free I guess I will have to go buy some from brofasco
                              The ADA Billet 5-Star wheel is available from ADA for $99.95. But it will only work on the front as there is no provision for a rear sprocket, and there are no sprockets that are drilled for the 6-bolt bolt pattern.

                              As for your issue with the adapter not fitting the ADA Billet 4-bolt wheel. For some reason the bolt pattern on the ADA 4-bolt wheel is slightly different than on the stock GoPed Mag wheels, which the Skopod adapters and Quick change rear hub were designed to fit. So the Skopod quick change rear hub or JambeeDavids GoPed Asia rear hubs like the one in Flashes last photo will not work on the ADA Billet 4-bolt wheel without modifying the wheels.
                              CP......
                              HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X