Question: Hybrid Ped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Hybrid Ped

Question, has anyone tried installing a 10" electric hub motor and wheel in the front on a gas GoPed?

My wife and I love to go to the New Orleans French Quarter. We went on a whim this time and I thought about taking the peds with us. Problem I have is, we don't need to go 40 mph, but we would like to ride, not scoot. I wouldn't want to go much faster than 10 or 15 mph, while booze cruzin'. I wouldn't keep the E-wheel/motor for typical rides, just on the tight downtown riding. What do you guys do when you Ped around a downtown area to shop/browse stores? As cool as it is to pull the cord and rev, but not so much when you move 40 feet to the next shop, or there are a ton of pedestrians.

You would need to find space for batteries, controller, new throttle etc. Not worth it.

Some people have converted to VESC + brushless on the Go Ped ESR but is not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JLRod View Post
      Question, has anyone tried installing a 10" electric hub motor and wheel in the front on a gas GoPed?

My wife and I love to go to the New Orleans French Quarter. We went on a whim this time and I thought about taking the peds with us. Problem I have is, we don't need to go 40 mph, but we would like to ride, not scoot. I wouldn't want to go much faster than 10 or 15 mph, while booze cruzin'. I wouldn't keep the E-wheel/motor for typical rides, just on the tight downtown riding. What do you guys do when you Ped around a downtown area to shop/browse stores? As cool as it is to pull the cord and rev, but not so much when you move 40 feet to the next shop, or there are a ton of pedestrians.
      Do you have any photos or a link to this motor, would it adapt to a typical Goped brake and axle? I have a close friend who owns a small ebike business, he tunes his own controllers and is very familiar with battery/controller options, I think he’d be interest in this sorta thing as well.

Comment

DSport,
        Honestly, I haven’t researched at all. I just thought it would be a good alternative for dense city rides. Not sure of the size of the axle, but I took the motor idea from Dualtron. Since they have replacement parts for most of their wear items, i could picture something working. Figured i could fabricate a deck with a hidden box or something to house controller and batteries. I asked the question to see if anyone has thought or tried it. Heck, I wouldn’t be opposed to a mini electric spindle drive for the front wheel. Just throwing ideas out there.

Comment

Your spindle idea sounds like a better option to me but I will say I don't have the vast experience with all this like some of these guys. But what I do know I know very very well because I'm tedious with my learning new things when I love it. So I've been looking for a hub motor for my GoPed esr1000h that could mount on the single sided fork design mine has and no luck at all for me. Now if you have a double sided fork in the front or can install one then I don't see why a hub motor wouldn't work. It's just all on if the brakes can install with it. If not if you have a rear brake already then just use that for your stopping power. As far as all the electrics go there are so many options out there that you can easily find what you need as far as an ESC and batteries go and since it's not about extreme power or distance it makes it way easier since you wouldn't need a lot of room for batteries or some over the top ESC because you wanna fly. People don't like the Dakota Lithium batteries but my GoPed has 4 of the 12v 10ah in it and I use it with stock 11/80 gearing and I never use economy mode only turbo, hell I don't even know if the damn switch works because if I wanna go slower I just don't go full throttle. I never have issues at all with my batteries at all. I can go 15 miles in turbo at about 20-22mph and I weigh 250lbs. So I have had a great experience with the batteries without any issues. They are really small actually and don't weigh anything it seems so placement wouldn't be hard. GOOD LUCK HOPE THAT HELPS

Comment

Working...
          X