Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Goped

Greetings!

I am new here and new to the Go Ped scene.

As a kid in the late 90's I always wanted one but never got one. I recently decided to look them up and saw the design has changed a bit and they dont look the same as I remember with the wooden decks.

So I have been determined over the past couple of weeks to find an older stock Goped that looks like I remember them being.

Picked this one up yesterday locally from the original owner for $300. He was an older guy that would take it to camp grounds to cruise around so it doesnt seem to have been raced or abused.

They are pretty scarce here in Northern CA so I jumped on this one as soon as I saw the listing.

Has a 2001 date stamp on the engine so its about 20 or so years old. It is completely stock, and I found out today its not actually a Sport but a "Geo Sport" With the Zenoah G25 engine.
    Was a nice surprise, though it seems like finding parts for the 25cc Zenoah maybe a bit more challenging. The Goped site doesnt seem to list parts for this engine.

It currently runs ok, but is a bit difficult on cold starts requiring about 25-30 pulls. Once warmed up it idles and runs nicely.

I am probably gonna do a basic tune up: Carb rebuild kit, plug, new fuel lines etc... The steering head is also a bit rough feeling so I have a rebuild bearing kit for that on order as well.

I plan on keeping it stock, just gonna use it to relive my childhood dreams around the neighborhood. The previous owner runs 40:1 pre mix through it. Is that ok for the stock Zenoah 25?

Thanks!

Your story almost the same as mine ..im 33 and as well when i was a kid in the 90s 499.99 in las vegas was unachievable (i got to barrow big foot for a couple months)

How is that pedd as a sport with no lockdown and it having that old school big foot clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by felonysAShobbys View Post
      Your story almost the same as mine ..im 33 and as well when i was a kid in the 90s 499.99 in las vegas was unachievable (i got to barrow big foot for a couple months)

How is that pedd as a sport with no lockdown and it having that old school big foot clutch?
      Ive only taken it on a couple of short rides. A bit of a learning curve for sure to get it to take off smoothly and not stalling out. The brake seems a bit weak too though I'm thinking it might just be cause the rubber on the wheels is old. Have new rubbers on order. Looking forward to tinkering with it some more next week when the parts arrive.

The spark plug was pretty fouled up so I removed it and cleaned it up with some carb cleaner. It is much easier to cold start now.

Comment

What you have there is called a geo sport. Was my first Goped too when I was 13. I’m 31 now and still have it +many others others lol. The carbs on those are notoriously bad. IMO rebuild kits aren’t really worth the time/money. And I’ve never had them bring a carb back to life. Normally it’s a problem is with the jetting in the small orifices of the carb body.

Comment

If I were you I’d consider replacing with the stock carb, if I were me I throw an HP butterfly style carb on there. But that takes modification. I have a write up on here with how to do it. it’s 100% worth it IMO, but it takes some technical skills and a Dremel. So for you maybe stock is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by s52 View Post
            They are pretty scarce here in Northern CA so I jumped on this one as soon as I saw the listing.
            You are crazy. Geos are junk and GoPed started in Pleasanton CA so they are allllllll over NorCal

Comment

Originally posted by ESR_RSE View Post

You are crazy. Geos are junk and GoPed started in Pleasanton CA so they are allllllll over NorCal
              Meh to each their own.

I was specifically looking for an older non modified stock example that is similar to something I would have picked up as a kid in the late 90's. I like the look of the wooden deck, and wanted a Zenoah powered one.

I have been on the search for a few weeks on craigslist, fb market place, and this was the first decent deal I came across that was at a cheaper price point.

I realize the Geo's dont get much love here but I like it. I think its nice to have the option to not run the engine and ride it manually a few blocks down to avoid pissing off the neighbors.

I've had a lot of fun over the past week tinkering with it. So far have rebuilt the stock carb, replaced spark plug, fuel lines and filter, cleaned the whole rig up, replaced the wheels/ rubber tires, repaired the wood deck with some Wood repair Bondo (the bottom side was delaminating), replaced the deck hardware, and replaced the steering head bearings.

Already feels like a brand new Go Ped. I love it.
              Last edited by s52; 04-21-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Pics of you riding a wheelie.

Comment

Originally posted by ESR_RSE View Post
                  Pics of you riding a wheelie.
                  Hah... I dont know about a wheelie. But after replacing the front wheel on this Ped it is definitely capable of some stoppie action!

I was amazed how vastly improved the front braking action got after putting some new rubber on there!

Comment

Working...
                  X