Throttle sticking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle sticking?

My throttle constantly sticks.i just bought a new cable.could it be due due too short of a spring?
    Attached Files

Maybe too much bend in your throttle cable. Do you lube the cable?

A stronger return spring could help. Is anything rubbing around the throttle swivel?
    GTR 460, GSR40 TSi, GSR40, Riot, Bigfoot, Sport, SGQ46, Evo 2X, Super GrowPed, TRQ....OHH YEAH!

Comment

Nope nothing around the swive.i don't see a bend.its probably a short spring .and I don't live the cable but that's the the problem u see that the shaft doesn't return all the wat

Comment

If you remove the throttle cable from the carb does it operate smoothly?
        GTR 460, GSR40 TSi, GSR40, Riot, Bigfoot, Sport, SGQ46, Evo 2X, Super GrowPed, TRQ....OHH YEAH!

Comment

I haven't checked.but let's say I lift the shaft with my finger.it drops right back down

Comment

Try taking off the spring stretching it out and then putting it back on. If it's too short if a spring that may help. Also were the throttle cable housing l's the same length? The actual throttle cable the same length?

Comment

If it's a new cable...

Then try a different carb cable spring...

When you use the ones from pens/around the house they stick/get stuck all the time.

Go to Home Depot and ask for the misc 50 count box of springs in the door section. ~$5

I found there is a few in that set that work really well from the box.

Also looking at the ring gap on that spring I have to think it's way too big of a spring.

You want a spring with coils very, very close together. Tiny ones.

Running a bad spring will actually do more harm than good, and make the sticking problem much worse. (It's weird, but true)

See the top black on in the middle sticking out... Aim for buying/using one like that:

Also the spring should be very TOUGH to get on the throttle/carb when you compress it.

So it snaps back every single time.

If it's too loose, it won't work.
              sigpic

My GoPed Build: http://goo.gl/0oYHVj

Comment

Contract I'll go to Home Depot today and check it out.thats what I was planning on doing.

Comment

It may be time for a new throttle cable, or a good cleansing of your current cable. The throttle cable can potentially rub at two locations; the lever where it goes in and out of the housing, and at the barrel adjuster. If the cable is rubbing anywhere in these to locations it will slowly where down any alloy material it is rubbing on. When this happens, the cable draws that debris into the housing and causes "sticking". Take it off and flush it with carb cleaner or non-chlorinated Brakleen (safe on plastic). Then apply some 3-in-1 spray lube, or my favorite Rock-N-Roll chain lube. It's also good for, well, your chain.
                  Hell Fab

Comment

Depths of hell this throttle cable was literally bought 2 days ago lmao

Comment

Laugh your *** off all you want. Who's the one that can't figure out a sticking throttle cable or malfunctioning throttle shaft on the carb? You're asking for help and I tried providing some. Check the two points I mentioned above, it may be binding in one of those locations. And make sure the throttle shaft on the carb isn't sticking. Also check for a kink in the cable, it may be new but that doesn't mean it's perfect.
                      Last edited by Depths of Hell; 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM.
                      Hell Fab

Comment

Alright and doh do u know why the shaft could be sticking?

Comment

Originally posted by am11 View Post
                          We can guess all day long but really the parts are in front of your eyes. You've gotten lots of helpful suggestions now you're going to have to work on it with your own hands.

Comment

Originally posted by am11 View Post
                            The throttle plate was installed incorrectly
                            Dirt/debris between the shaft and carb body
                            Too small of a manifold Venturi
                            Carb gasket catching
                            Throttle Shaft spring installed incorrectly or off/malfunctioning

BTW I snapped 3 brand new with less than 5 hrs total throttle cables in the past.
                            All of which direct from goped and installed correctly by myself in a more gradual routing than the factory does.
                            As a matter of fact, I brought this issue up to Steve Patmont himself at a ride were I snapped a new cable I just installed prior to the ride and his response was to "buy a new one" even though I just bought 2 prior I finished out the ride with a stick tied to end of the cable.
                            Don't think because it is new it is completely free of defects, especially if you get a knockoff cable.
                            www.TopSecretMotors.com
                            https://www.facebook.com/TopSecretMotorSolutions

Comment

Couple questions after looking at your pic.

1. Did you buy a sport or air tire Gsr throttle cable?
                              Some times with modded carbs & depending on how you mount the linkage the sport cable can be too short.

2. Why are you using such a large diameter spring?
                              Usually a spring needs to be fairly snug " smaller diameter" around cable. This keeps it from snagging & bunching up on stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X