Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Help Needed] Just Picked up a Brand New Riot 46. Front Wheel not spinning freely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Help Needed] Just Picked up a Brand New Riot 46. Front Wheel not spinning freely?

Hey guys,

Just received my New Go-Ped Riot 46.

I got the place where I purchased it from to change the knobby tires over to Kenda 671 tires as I won't be riding off-road alot.

This brings me to assembly of the Riot. I attached the front wheel on sliding the disc rotor in between the maddog brakes.
    Lined up the spacer that sits in-between the wheel and then slid the bolt in. Put the washer on then the nut and began tightening. Not super tight just enough.
    Note: the spacer in-between the wheel was bit shorter and wobbled around abit. I go to spin the wheel and it doesn't spin freely kinda like it's getting stuck..
    So i undid the nut so it was just tight. Again, the wheel did not spin freely, it barely spins at all when off ground.
    Thing is when i push the scooter the front wheel moves but I feel bit of resistance.

I've checked the brakes and the rotor doesn't seem to be catching as far as I can see.

I was looking forward to firing her up and going for a ride but it just doesn't seem right and i rather be safe then sorry so I have a new Riot that I haven't even started yet, just sitting here.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the Go-Ped scene.

Thanks in advance.

If the spacer in the wheel between the bearings is too "short", than you need a new one. That spacer prevents the bearings from being crushed when tightening the axles bolts.

Check your bearings for smooth action, that may also be the culperate. Are the bearings new and "unused"?
    Hell Fab

Comment

In all of the GoPed wheels that I have ever delt with the internal bearing spacer in the middle of the wheel between the two bearings was slightly loose until you tighten the axle nut. If you were to remove the wheel and axle from the front fork and then put the wheel on the axle, will it spin freely?
      CP......
      HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

Comment

You should:
        -take the wheel off the frame
        -hold it with your index fingers poking into the bearings
        -then roll the wheel on the ground

You will be able to feel if there is something wrong with the bearings.

Also I have purchased new wheels where it seemed like the wheel didn't want to spin but the bearings just needed a ride to seat/loosen and then they rolled freely.

welcome to the board!
        Last edited by universe; 08-09-2014, 06:17 AM.
        in the glowing hut
        on the fields of tomorrow
        live to guide the herd

Comment

Originally posted by SJ View Post
          In all of the GoPed wheels that I have ever delt with the internal bearing spacer in the middle of the wheel between the two bearings was slightly loose until you tighten the axle nut. If you were to remove the wheel and axle from the front fork and then put the wheel on the axle, will it spin freely?
          Hi,
          Yup the wheel spins fine on the axle off the fork. Bearings are smooth.
          The disc rotor looks to be off in some areas. Is this common on new gopeds?
          Cause I noticed there's mostly resistance when it reaches a certain point of the rotor, hope this makes sense,
          What can I do to straighten out the front rotor?
          Thanks a lot guys

Comment

Originally posted by universe View Post
            welcome to the board!
            Thank you

Comment

Looks like the rotor is rubbing on the inside pad (closest to the wheel hub)
              I've adjusted the inner pad as much as I can to pull the inside pad in. But it's still rubbing??

Comment

If the bearings are brand new they will have resistance as they are loaded with grease. Like Universe mentioned, they just need to be ridden on and they will break free slightly.

Sounds like your rotor may be rubbing as well? It's difficult to get the rotor concentric with the stock mag and rotor set up. I recommend picking up and ADA billet front wheel (or a set ) or Skopod adapter. This will allow you to run a MTB rotor, this means better cooling especially for long stop and go rides. And you'll also be able to upgrade to MTB calipers, which is a huge improvement over stock.

Edit: Welcome to Billet Board!
                Hell Fab

Comment

To straighten the disk i put a light below the
                  Brake assembly so i can see the contact area clearly. Sitting in one of my milk crates.
                  then straighten with a small adjustable wrench
                  Bending either in or out where the pads hit
                  it. The flashlight really helps with the tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Len View Post
                    To straighten the disk i put a light below the
                    Brake assembly so i can see the contact area clearly. Sitting in one of my milk crates.
                    then straighten with a small adjustable wrench
                    Bending either in or out where the pads hit
                    it. The flashlight really helps with the tuning.
                    Thank you, done!

Comment

Originally posted by Depths of Hell View Post
                      Edit: Welcome to Billet Board!
                      Thanks!

Comment

I have had this problem too. You can try another spacer to get a longer one. I had some custom spacers made that are the exact right length, and the ends are square. It is amazing how much easier my scooters roll with these in the wheels. Spnksvw has the material and the dimensions, if you ask him nicely he would probably make some for you.

The bolts should be tight. You don't want the wheel to be able to move at all, it will wobble out the feame and make matters worse, plus its not safe. A bolt that size will take over 100ft lbs of torque, but we dont need that much for how we are using them.

It is great news that you got a new scooter from PMW,and welcome to the sport and to the Billet Board.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the help and advice. Got the engine ran in last night, this is my 1st gas scooter/GoPed ever!
                          I'm loving it! I was shocked how much throttle you gotta give her to get her moving..
                          Are there any ways of getting the clutch to grab earlier?
                          I'll be placing an order through DDM soon. Thinking about the DDM Dominator pipe,
                          And changing to 8/76, 8/72.
                          With regards to the pipe. I'm after something on the quiet side.. Is it worth getting a billet manifold like the TS with the coupler? Are there any worthwhile advantages to be had vs just a mount on pipe?
                          I brought this as I'll be losing my licence for quite some time and it'd be my main means of transport.

Also, on the riot 46, what is the standard FTG assembly made out of? I want to get rid of the "play" but also keep the folding option. Suggestions?

Thanks again guys! The GoPed community seems helpful for a newbie like myself..
                          In time.. I'm really diggin the ped and have a feeling my wallet is gonna be a lot lighter thanks to my new hobby..

Comment

clutch saver springs will engage at a much lower rpm, and the Dominator pipe will be so loud that everyone withing eyesight will be looking at you when you run your ped, at least that's what happened when I had one. If you want quiet, stick with the stock can, it's not that quiet, but its the best you are gonna get.

Pretty sure the riot has a steel ftg. You can look for a slide tube on DDM, I think they still have them. If you want the bar to fold, a Pro Slide is about the best solution, but they are discoed for a long time. They still come up on Billet Board from time to time, or you can post a wanted listing. Usually about $100 used in good condition.

I'm pretty sure that just about anywhere that it is still legal to ride a goped on the street, you will need a drivers license, and a riot may be a problem almost anywhere, as I think they are classified as pocket bikes and those are not legal anywhere. Offroad only. You will definitely want to do some research into this area, assuming you want to keep it legal.

If you want to ride without a license on the street, the only way I know of is to get an electric bike that is pedal assist.
                            Last edited by bikeguy; 08-12-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

You can do many different up grades to fix that pole cheap to all out racepole.try a slide tube clamp for starters.
                              If you like quiet and better MPG with slightly less HP
                              You may like the g43.
                              Last edited by Len; 08-13-2014, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X